A Productive Week

Hello everyone!

Its been a busy week this week. First of all, I had my design pitch of my Body of Work (Go Native, board game) to Shem Phillips of Garphill Games. Two days of preparation before hand and then the real deal at 10am on Wednesday morning. It went really well, Shem was really generous with his advice and seemed really enthusiastic about the game. As well as sharing some advice and knowledge on printing and manufacturing , he showed me some of his own games including some beautiful hand painted, gouache illustrations his Mum did for his game Plethora it was from this that he emphasized how important imagery is for a board game, to draw people’s interest.

We also discussed prototyping Go Native to iron out anything that doesn’t work during gameplay. I am so excited to do this, it is our term break for the next two weeks so I am preparing a prototype to play with friends. It should be a lot of fun!

Overall the pitch left me feeling really excited about my Body of Work, but I can’t believe I am already half way through the class year. Where is time going?!

Oh and Shem also recommended Board Game Geek, a forum for contemporary board game designers from around the world, check them out there are some really cool board games out there!

Special Topic

I’ve made huge progress on my You Reap What You Sow” project. Last week I screen-printed the black and white designs in black, then blue, then I played around with some orange and purple to make some pretty looking marble effects (You’ve gotta have some fun after all 😛 )

After scanning the screen-prints back onto computer, I had a play with colour on Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. I quickly discovered that Photoshop was easiest to use for colour but it took me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggessss to figure out a way of colouring the work:

  1. without taking too much away from the screen-print texture and,
  2. without making it look pixelated and horrible

But I persevered and after a couple of long, soul destroying hours at a computer screen, I finally ended up with a result I was happy with. And here are some of the finished litter-plant specimens

Litter Samples

You may notice that the stems have a hint of an orange or purple, this was my attempt at incorporating some of the orange-purple marbling effect I got from the screen-printing session. Let me know what you think, I’d love some opinions 🙂

And I might also upload some of the scans of the actual screenprints too, comment if you’d like to see them.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A Productive Week

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s